Win Server 2003 for the USB Modem, which I have successfully installed and tested. Installed Client software, was able to find the USB device at the server. However, Win XP wants drivers to successfully install the device. Where do I find the drivers, (typically an INF file), they are not in the download package, nor are they installed on the client or server program directories. Can use it without it... Help.
IP Logged
Andrew FabulaTech Forum Moderator
Moderator FabulaTech Forum Senior Member
Gender: Posts: 427
Re: New Client Install Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2008, 11:47pm
You need to install modem drivers on the Client side. The behavior is identical if you plug your modem directly to Client's PC. In any case, you can try to install driver of standard modem, e.g. "Standard 56K Modem".
Can't install - In the control panel of the client workstation (XP), when I go to phone/modem options, modem tab, and I select the Standard 56K modem, click next, the dialog is asking for a port to attach the drivers to. No ports are shown, and the next button is greyed out.
IP Logged
Andrew FabulaTech Forum Moderator
Moderator FabulaTech Forum Senior Member
Gender: Posts: 427
Re: New Client Install Reply #3 on: Mar 25th, 2008, 7:04am
Yes, really. That's issue. For a now you can do the following to resolve it: 1) Share Virtual COM5 2) Add modem driver for virtual COM5 (it will work) 3) Remove shared COM5 4) Create virtual COM5 connected to remote shared COM port.
I really don't understand what you're referring to? Do I have to get yet more software? Do I install/configure on the server where the modem is attached or on the workstation?
IP Logged
Andrew FabulaTech Forum Moderator
Moderator FabulaTech Forum Senior Member
Gender: Posts: 427
Re: New Client Install Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2008, 7:48am
On the remote side you need to share COM port to which the modem is plugged.
On the local side you need to create virtual COM port connected to remote shared COM port.
BUT, as soon as Windows skips virtual COM port connected to remote shared COM port (while looking for modems), please follow the instructions from the previous post.
All instructions are for virtual side: In few words, you need to create shared virtual COM port just to install modem driver, and then remove it and create virtual COM port with the same name connected to remote side.
2) USB over Network. In such case "USB over Network Server" should be installed on modem's side; and "USB over Network Client" should be installed on your PC from where you wish to access the modem.