I am testing USB over network, Device is attached to vista and shared Client is on widnwos 2003 i have tested webcam (DirectShow, and TWAIN scanner no problem...)
i have added to my test Canon CanoScan LiDE90, its driver supports WIA for Vista and 2003...
When connected locally on windows 2003 (or Vista), I can see it in control panel/Scanner once the applet is open, I can use it in mspaint no problem (and it does say WIA drivers and all) But, when i hook it up to my Vista box and share it, connect to 2003 i notice the following:
1. windows 2003 control panel -> scanner takes long time to "find" the device in addition, 2. when i run msmapint, it takes minutes for mspaint to finally open ... Once it opens, (or control panel is done searching and see it) I think i can access the device but it takes forever to open up the WIA driver with choices H E L P !!
thanks
Last Edit: Mar 26th, 2008, 6:04pm by batman
IP Logged
Andrew FabulaTech Forum Moderator
Moderator FabulaTech Forum Senior Member
Where the PC with the scanner is physically located. I mean, are both PCs are located in the same physical LAN, or are tehy located in different offices and connected via VPN over the Internet. Some USB devices may work extremely slow over the Internet. But the same devices they work fine in LAN.
I have just re-setup my test, and i used XP box attachied to the WIA scanner and sharing it 2003 client attaching to shared scanner...
(NO use of Vista box with attached scanner)
It worked perfectly.... very fast as expected... So, the quetion becomes this: With Vista box sharing its scanner, why is the sharing and a client use is VERY SLOW and actualy times out. I even tried XP reading the scanner from the Vista box, no go
Please note, that the scanner locally attached to Vista has NO problem on its own beforeto sharing (mspaint works on it perfectly and fat).... Also note that I have NO firewall enabled on Vista box
Thanks
IP Logged
Andrew FabulaTech Forum Moderator
Moderator FabulaTech Forum Senior Member
Gender: Posts: 427
Re: Very slow WIA scan with Vista Reply #4 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 6:29am
Hi, Very interesting... OK, what happens if you share scanner on the Vista box and then connect it form the same Vista box? (I mean install both Client and Server sides on the same PC). Thanks!
Very good test.... If I run a scanner share on this Vista box, and run USB client on it as well and CONNECT... it is also.... no good. I mean: I shows in device manager after connecting the client very normal But, when I run mspaint, the "From scanner of camera" option is correctly enabled (since it sees WIA driver), but if i click it... I takes long time looking for device and then I get: "Unable to retreive image from device. verify that the device is properly connected and try again"... which is SAME as i get from a remote box
Thanks ...
IP Logged
Andrew FabulaTech Forum Moderator
Moderator FabulaTech Forum Senior Member
Gender: Posts: 427
Re: Very slow WIA scan with Vista Reply #6 on: Mar 27th, 2008, 6:56am
A) Local experiment (Win XP) ============================ 1) Please install USB Monitor Pro on the PC with USB device. 2) Unplug the device. 3) Launch USB Monitor, Start new session, and choose option "Monitor Hot Plugged Device". 4) Plug USB device. 5) Work for some time. 6) Save log file local.ftm
B) Remote experiment ==================== Client: WinXP Server: Vista
1) Please install USB Monitor Pro on the PC where "USB over Network Client" is installed (Client PC). 2) Please share the dongle on Server PC. 3) Launch USB Monitor, Start new session, and choose option "Monitor Hot Plugged Device". 4) Connect USB dongle via "USB over Network Client". 5) Work for some time and reproduce the issue. 6) Save log file remote.ftm
OK... i got the monitor files as requested... I will email them to Support@FabulaTech.com...
In addition, this could be helpfull for you as you are reviewing the 10MB trace
From XP machine running USB Client and Monitor connecting to Vista mounted Canon scanner: USB Log File: XP_Client_Using_Scanner_on_Vista.ftm. Started MSPaint. A few minutes later, paint finally opens corresponding to this entry in USB log # 3578 239.3623047 STATUS_CANCELLED
On paint, the scanner was available so tried to scan using File | From Scanner or Camera and got error in USB log (after a long delay) #7156 391.6591797 STATUS_CANCELLED Paint (actually WIA import interface) gave this error: Unable to retrieve image from device. Verify the device is properly connected and try again
----- From XP machine using directly connect Canon scanner
USB Log File: XP_Using_Direct_Connect_Scanner.ftm
Start MSPaint and it opened immediately. Scanned using File | From Scanner or Camera. First did Preview followed by Scan. Worked as expected.