Apr 26th, 2024, 2:38pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dev help needed: integrating OEM license key into  (Read 2791 times)
dcole
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Dev help needed: integrating OEM license key into
« on: Jan 21st, 2021, 8:02pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Good morning. We have purchased an OEM license for Serial Port Redirector and I've downloaded the SDK. I need help with the MSM module integration, specifically the license key, as my program keeps launching in Trial mode (so the key isn't recognized.)  

My environment: Visual Studio 2012 (C#), .NET 4.0/4.5, latest InstallShield Limited Edition.  

In the SDK>Redistribution>Installation instructions, it gives instructions for adding SPRcore-Intel.msm file into InstallShield 2009. The .msm files I received with the SDK, though, were SPRcore-x64.msm and SPRcore-x86.msm. I'm assuming they're similar so I can just choose one or the other (or both, if my target platforms include both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows OSes?) Although the project add instructions are different for InstallShieldLE, I was able to add the x86 file to the project and build it. But it's just launching in trial mode. I don't know how to configure ISLE to integrate LICENSE_KEY into the msi module and this is where I need some detailed instruction.

I should mention that my background is that of an embedded C developer and that .NET/Windows programming is fairly new to me. My apologies if my questions are overly-simplistic or obvious to the seasoned .NET developer, but this is what I've been tasked with and I need help ASAP.

Thank you in advance for your assistance. Smiley
IP Logged
Tim_Galiullin
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Re: Dev help needed: integrating OEM license key i
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2021, 2:38pm »

Hello!  
What is the result of your work? Is it .msi or .exe?

Property LICENSE_KEY can be put in finished MSI using Orca (available in Windows SDK).
IP Logged
dcole
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Re: Dev help needed: integrating OEM license key i
« Reply #2 on: Feb 2nd, 2021, 7:57pm »

Dear Tim,

Thank you for posting a reply here, and also an email. I sent you a follow-up reply to your email address but perhaps it got lost in your spam folder, as I never heard back from you. In any case, I will post my follow-up questions here so that you or someone monitoring this board may readily see them.  

As I mentioned in my email, InstallShield Limited Edition does not officially support the creation of .msi files, only .exe. However, by scouring StackExchange forums I found there was a backdoor method to create .msi in ISLE, so I have now done that.  

In my email I asked exactly where to insert the LICENSE_KEY property and the contents of the OEM key file. By studying the contents of the vbscript included in the SDK docs, I came to the conclusion that it should be inserted as a new row in the Property Table of the .msi.

QUESTION #1: is this correct that a new row should be appended to the end of the Property Table, where property = LICENSE_KEY and value = the contents of the license file? Also, should the value include the BEGIN / END statements in the file? (this is what I did).

The second question I asked in my email was which MSM module to import into into InstallShield LE build if I would be targeting both 32 and 64-bit OS'es?  

I started by importing the SPRcore-x64.msm module but that generated the following build error:' -5008 “This 32-bit package cannot include 64-bit data. The 64-bit data may come from a merge module”.'
I then removed the SPRcore-x64.msm module from the build and installed the SPRcore-x32.msm module in it's place. But I'm still getting the same error.  

QUESTION #2: have you seen this error before with InstallShield LE and do you have an idea of the source of the problem?

Thank you in advance for your reply.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.