Apr 24th, 2024, 11:47pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Webcam doesn't appear until i restart service  (Read 5714 times)
insomniac2k2
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Webcam doesn't appear until i restart service
« on: Apr 27th, 2018, 3:17am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hello,

I am testing Webcam from RDP in the following environment:

Windows 10 x64 connecting to windows 10 x64 VDI, through a windows 2016 RDS server.

The issue is that whenever i disconnect from my VDI session, the VDI machine goes into a saved state (As designed).  Then when reconnecting, the machine starts back up and re-establishes my session. Unfortunately server side agent does not automatically reconnect to the workstation side agent (No connection to workstation module).  The only way to make this reconnect is to restart the Fabulatech Netlink session service. Once restarted, the webcam is reconnected and works perfectly.

And just for FYI. I have fully eliminated the RDS server and connected directly to my VDI session.  The results are identical.

I am testing this for a possible large implementation, and cannot have this be a sticking point. Any help on this is appreciated.

thanks!
IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
Re: Webcam doesn't appear until i restart service
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27th, 2018, 9:19am »

Hi,
Sorry, I don't understand your statement "Windows 10 x64 connecting to windows 10 x64 VDI, through a windows 2016 RDS server". What do you mean by "through a windows 2016 RDS server"?
What RD protocol (RDP/ICA/PCoIP) you are using?
Let me know all steps for reproducing the issue (make the screenshots if possible and send them to me).
I'll try to reproduce the same problem on our lab.
"a saved state" is just a disconnected session, correct? I mean that the status of your session on the remote PC is disconnected, I am right?
Awaiting your clarification.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2018, 9:19am by Sergey_Jarovski » IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
insomniac2k2
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27th, 2018, 2:42pm »

Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid i may have over complicated things in explanation. So the only thing i can do is complicate it more to dig out Smiley

This is the latest implementation of "Personal Virtual Desktops".  It employs a RDSH server which brokers communication only.  It is not the actual endpoint. Behind the RDSH server is a Hyper-V hypervisor cluster which hosts all Personal virtual Desktop (Virtual Guests). When a user connects to the RDSH server, a TLS connection is brokered through the RDSH server. The RDSH server triggers the Hypervisor to start up (power up) the guest that is associated with the requesting user.  The guest is then reverse proxied through the RDSH server to the end user.  In this instance, all guests are standalone Windows 10 x64 workstations. And, yes, when the user disconnects, the virtual machine goes into a hybernation state known as "Saved" in Hyper-v.  It is equivelent to windows "Sleep".  Since my post I have also eliminated sleep as the issue though. As I have left the machine in a running state and the issue is still there.

So to un-complicate the troubleshoot.  I have removed all middle servers from the chain and have just direct connected from my Windows 10 x64 workstation directly by IP address over a LAN to my personal virtual desktop (which is hosted on a hypervisor).  Either way yield the same end result.  

If there are questions after this, i can do my best to explain, or we can do a remote session and I can show you. Let me know!

on Apr 27th, 2018, 9:19am, Sergey_Jarovski wrote:
Hi,
Sorry, I don't understand your statement "Windows 10 x64 connecting to windows 10 x64 VDI, through a windows 2016 RDS server". What do you mean by "through a windows 2016 RDS server"?
What RD protocol (RDP/ICA/PCoIP) you are using?
Let me know all steps for reproducing the issue (make the screenshots if possible and send them to me).
I'll try to reproduce the same problem on our lab.
"a saved state" is just a disconnected session, correct? I mean that the status of your session on the remote PC is disconnected, I am right?
Awaiting your clarification.

« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2018, 3:02pm by insomniac2k2 » IP Logged
insomniac2k2
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #3 on: May 4th, 2018, 5:10pm »

Any thoughts on this? I'm more than willing to help troubleshoot this.
IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #4 on: May 7th, 2018, 1:35pm »

Hi,

I wasn't able to reproduce your problem on our lab (I am using physical Win10 PC on both sides).
My test steps:
- install the workstation part locally (PC#1);
- install the server part on the remote PC (PC#2);
1)
- run RDP session from the workstation to server, there is no connection problem;
- close RDP session;
- reestablish RDP connection from PC#1 to PC#2, there is no connection problem.
2)
- run RDP session from the workstation to server, there is no connection problem;
- close RDP session, click sleep on PC#2, click on power button of PC#2;
- reestablish RDP connection from PC#1 to PC#2, there is no connection problem.
3)  
- click sleep on PC#2, there are the attempts to reconnect on PC#1, click on power button of PC#2;
- I can see the automatic reestablishing RDP connection, there is no connection problem.
IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
insomniac2k2
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #5 on: May 8th, 2018, 4:01pm »

Hi,

Thank you for your time on this troubleshoot.  My problem is very consistent on every machine i test, so i find this unusual that you would not have the issue. The only thing that i can think of is that you are using a physical machine on both sides. I will test my scenario physical to physical and see what happens. I will get back to you in the next few days.
IP Logged
insomniac2k2
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #6 on: May 16th, 2018, 9:37pm »

Sorry for the delay.  I ran tests physical to physical and can confirm that there is no bug.  This is definitely a bug when connecting a physical machine to a virtual machine.  

Presently I do have a workaround which elevates permissions for a user and runs a batch script to restart the service upon logon. While it does work, id prefer a a real fix over a workaround of this nature.  Until then, I will continue testing.

Is there any chance that this can be tested from your side for a possible resolution?
IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #7 on: May 17th, 2018, 10:12am »

Hi,

We can try to investigate the issue with help of log files from both (workstation and server) sides.
Please do the following:
1) enable the logging on both sides ("If there is a bug with the functionality of our software, do the following" section):
https://www.fabulatech.com/usb-for-remote-desktop-workstation-help/troubleshooting-workstation.html
https://www.fabulatech.com/usb-for-remote-desktop-server-help/troubleshooting-server.html
2) run RDP session from USB for Remote Desktop (workstation) PC to VDI (USB for Remote Desktop (server)) and remember the time#1;
3) wait a bit, disconnect RDP session, remember the time#2;
4) wait a bit, connect to VDI again, remember the time#3;
5) collect the logs from both sides, zip them and send to me (support@fabulatech.com).

P.S. Don't forget to send me info about time#1/#2/#3.
IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.