Apr 19th, 2024, 9:20pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cannot delete virtual port pair  (Read 8043 times)
Trevor
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile   Email       
Cannot delete virtual port pair
« on: Mar 13th, 2008, 9:04am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hi

I am using a trial of VSPK version 5.0.3 and have been trying various things. I then tried to delete all the virtual port pairs (I had five pairs defined), but one pair (COM4 to COM5) displayed the following message when I tried to remove it.

"Cannot remove this virtual port pair because some of ports are in use by some program. You must release these ports before removing."

There may or may not have been other programs using one of the ports at the time, I can't remember. However,it continues to give the same message with no other programs running at all. The problem persists over a reboot. I'm running XP2 Pro with SP2.

Can you tell me how to rectify the situation, as well as how to avois it happening again please?

Trevor
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: Cannot delete virtual port pair
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 12:49am »

Hi Trevor,

That's strange. It seems some system Windows utility may use the COM port (e.g. Accessebility Options -> SerialKey devices, or something like that). In any case, try to uninstall Virtual Serial Port Kit, then reboot and install it again.
It should work.
Thanks!
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
Trevor
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile   Email       
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14th, 2008, 11:06am »

Good pointer Andrew! I'd worked out which of the two ports was causing the problem so I went searching through the registry for it. I found an entry associated with my mobile phone software which runs as an icon in the system tray. Sure enough, when I reconfigured that to remove the port, I successfully deleted the port pair with VSPK. The strange thing with this is that the port had not been visible using the Device Manager. With other overlapped ports I seem to recall seeing both instances with Device Manager.

Anyway, problem solved, many thanks.
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2008, 12:51am »

Hi Trevor,

That's great that issue is resolved now. Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime, if any additional assistance is required. Also please keep in mind FabulaTech for your future projects. We offer a range of unique virtual serial and USB solutions.
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.