Apr 23rd, 2024, 11:03pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cannot connect MC9090 device to WMDC  (Read 5707 times)
sutekh137
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Cannot connect MC9090 device to WMDC
« on: Feb 17th, 2017, 1:48pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hey all,

I am trying to connect a barcode scanner device (Motorola/Symbol MC9090 running Windows Mobile 5.0) to a Terminal Server session -- and I am close!

Server: Windows 2012 R2 Terminal Server (64-bit)
Workstation: Windows 10 (64-bit)  

I installed the trial version of server and workstation USB for Remote Desktop, both 64-bit. I then logged into the Terminal Server and I could see the device in the list. Even better, when I check that device as active, it displayed on the device's screen that it was connecting, and the icon at the top of the device indicated a connection!

However, the device cannot be connected to with Windows Mobile Device Center (WMDC) which provides the ActiveSync layer to make the device truly accessible. This is closer than I got with using RemoteFX on standard RDP, but I still cannot really connect to it.

As with RemoteFX, the device displays in the server's Device Manager under "Mobile Devices", but not "Portable Devices". I have also played around with the Windows Mobile settings under Settings --> Connections --> USB to PC, checking and unchecking the "Enable advanced network functionality" box. This causes the server software to see the device as a different name, but it still will not connect to WMDC. (Local connections generally work better with that option UNchecked).

There are no additional drivers I have ever needed to install to detect the device locally. Windows Mobile Device Center contains the full ActiveSync layer and user interface, and I have never had to download or install any additional software to detect the MC9090 (that goes for Windows 7 as well as both 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows 10).

Has anyone else had luck connecting industrial devices such as the MC9090 running Windows Mobile 5.0? I have no problem at all connecting to multiple machines via a local connection, so this definitely has something to do with redirection. I was hoping this software would be the answer, but it doesn't appear to work...  Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
sutekh137
« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2017, 2:01pm by sutekh137 » IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
Re: Cannot connect MC9090 device to WMDC
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2017, 2:54am »

Hi,

Thanks for the interest in our products and for your request.
In my opinion the cause of problem is that WMDC/ActiveSync isn't intended for use within RDP session because of the RDP session limitations.
You can redirect your mobile device to the remote side using our SW but you can't use it in WMDC.
IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
sutekh137
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2017, 11:41am »

Sergey,

I greatly appreciate the response. And I believe you are correct. I didn't even realize WMDC just doesn't work when in a remote session, because I had run it before after the remote machine was ALREADY connected to the device -- so I thought it worked. It doesn't work as soon as you disconnect and reconnect.

There are several internet threads dealing with this, and apparently remote sessions could use WMDC back with Windows XP, but from Vista onward it no longer appears to work.  

I verified the same behavior with RDP's built-in RemoteFX, your tool, and one of your competitor's tools -- WMDC cannot see the device no matter how visible the device appears in other managers or device lists. And both your tool and the competing tool do work, as is apparent by the device showing it is connected. WMDC (and the whole RAPI/ActiveSync layer) just won't connect, making the redirection of no use to me.

I wish it did, because we would likely buy your product in a heartbeat (especially with this great tech help you just gave me when I was only on trial).

I appreciate the help!

Thanks,
sutekh137
IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2017, 3:48am »

Hi again,

I have some additional info for you.
As I wrote earlier you can't use WMDC and mobile device within RDP session because of the RDP session limitations. But you can use the local (console) session for your purpose: VNC, ICA (ICA-console) and PCoIP.
IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
sutekh137
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21st, 2017, 1:40pm »

Sergey,

Sorry, I don't follow... I am using your USB redirection for RDP product, so if I log in via VNC instead, how will I see the redirected device? Yes, WMDC will work, but it won't be able to see the client-side device because that needs RDP to succeed at the redirection, doesn't it?

The environment in which this needs to work is for folks logging into a Windows 2012 R2 terminal server. Can we use one of those other remote login protocols that you mention and still have the USB for RDP redirection working underneath? Does that mean we would essentially be logging into the same session via two different protocols, and they would work at the same time?

Sorry if I am being dense -- I am not quite understanding the scenario where this could all work together. But I'm interested to figure it out!

Thanks,
sutekh137
IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23rd, 2017, 4:36am »

Hi again,
In your case you can use:
- PCoIP session (VMware or Teradici);
- ICA session (Citrix XenApp);
- VNC session (you can redirect your device within one RDP session but use this device on your RDS within VNC (console) session using another or the same account).
IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.