Apr 24th, 2024, 4:03pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: DNC Network  (Read 6209 times)
gohbucks69
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
DNC Network
« on: Dec 21st, 2006, 6:05pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hello, I work in a CNC Machine shop. I am attempting to set up a DNC Network to link all of our machines to the main server. I have the Software up and running but I need a way for everything to run off of one com port. Of course not all of the machines use the same port settings and the computer has only one com port. Will your serial splitter handle this application? and if so, Should I try the split or the shared feature?
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: DNC Network
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25th, 2006, 7:01am »

Could you please clarify. You have several CNC Machines. Each CNC Machine is a serial device that can be connected to PC using serial cable.  But PC has only 1 physical COM port. Is it right? So, fisrt of all you need to connect CNC Machines physically to one or several PCs. Then we could find the proper solution how to access several CNCs from single PC.  

IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
joesch7
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: May 29th, 2007, 6:06am »

I am also in a situation of trying to communicate with two or more CNC machines. For years we've had a dedicated pc running Procomm Plus with 5 serial ports to feed each of the machines.

We have presently needed to replace this old dedicated PC with a cheap Windows Vista PC. Unfortunately, our multi-serial port card is no longer supported in Vista. Now I'm searching for a more elegant solution. Before I go out and purchase another multi-port serial card.... can you advise any alternate solutions?
Files must be transfered via hardware handshake RS232 data lines... drip feeding the machines over the course of several hours as they need more data. Are any of your products suited for this?
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: May 29th, 2007, 6:42am »

Hi,
First of all thanks for detailed description. Well, there are several CNC machines that you need to connect to cheap Windows Vista PC. Each CNC machine must be connected to physical COM port. So, in any case you need several COM ports to which these CNC machines will be plugged.
Since we don't sell hardware solutions, we can offer you the following: are there any other PCs (with native COM ports) to which your CNC machines can be plugged? If so, we can offer you solution that will mirror all that physical COM ports from several PCs to several virtual COM ports on your Vista PC, so you will be able to control all CNC machines from Vista PC.
Alternative variant #1: purchase new multi-serial port card that is supported by Vista.
Alternative variant #2: you could install XP over Vista and use your old multi-serial port card.
Thank you.
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
joesch7
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #4 on: May 29th, 2007, 8:28am »

Thanks for the quick reply.
We've decided that the most expeditious way to proceed
was to get a USB-to-serial adaptor for the Vista system.
So for now... we are still running Procomm Plus to feed the machines. I had hoped your Network Serial Port Kit would have  
been a more elegant solution, but unfortunately, having a PC
attached to each machine is too much potential headaches.

Wishing you continued success with your product line!

Joe
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.