Apr 20th, 2024, 12:04am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Use on headless device?  (Read 5005 times)
EricStark
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Use on headless device?
« on: Jul 18th, 2005, 12:01pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Can the VSPK CE product be used on a headless device - one without a display?

Provided that configuration is through the Registry or some sort of file-based information, I'm guessing that the device driver itself does not need the display.

Any help or information would be appreciated!
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: Use on headless device?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 1:51am »

Yes. We can provide you a library that could be used by your application for creating pairs of virtual serial ports.
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
EricStark
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22nd, 2005, 8:20am »

First, I appreciate your response.  However, that answer, while interesting and indicative of other potentially useful product offering(s), does not answer my question.

My main question is this:  Will the VSPK CE product, as I would order it today for $299USD, run on a headless Windows CE 4.2 device?

Additional questions:  How about Windows CE 5.0 support?  Are instructions available for setting configuration values (since there is no GUI available)?  Has its operation on a headless device been tested by your labs?  Are additional fees associated with the library that your response mentions?

We may be interested in the "library" version, but I was hoping to avoid the overhead of additional software development and the associated risks and complications.  

I should also add that I'm a registered VSPK (PC-based Windows version), and I've been very pleased with its operation and usefulness in testing our PC-based products.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2005, 8:26am by EricStark » IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 2:17am »

Dear Eric

ES> First, I appreciate your response.  However, that answer, while interesting and indicative of other potentially useful product offering(s), does not answer my question. My main question is this:  Will the VSPK CE product,  as I would order it today for $299USD, run on a headless Windows CE 4.2 device?

Yes, Eric, it will.

ES> Additional questions:  How about Windows CE 5.0 support?

We haven't tested it on CE 5.0 but our clients have.

ES> Are instructions available for setting configuration values (since there is no GUI available)?  Has its operation on a headless device been tested by your labs?  Are additional fees associated with the library that your response mentions?

This API is included into VSPK CE OEM Package.

Here is API description:
------------------------------
BOOL AddPair(ULONG uPort1, ULONG uPort2);
BOOL RemovePair(ULONG uPort1, ULONG uPort2);
BOOL EnablePorts(BOOL bEnable);

/*
 * uPort:  1-10: COM1-COM10,
 *   11-20: VCP1-VCP10
 */

ES> We may be interested in the "library" version, but I was hoping to avoid the overhead of additional software development and the associated risks and complications.

Eric, if you need any special requirements, tell us and we'll do our best.

ES> I should also add that I'm a registered VSPK (PC-based Windows version), and I've been very pleased with its operation and usefulness in testing our PC-based products.

Thank you for good words!

We look forward to the development of very promising and mutually beneficial relationship.
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
EricStark
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #4 on: Aug 2nd, 2005, 6:18am »

Thanks for your continued attention to this line of questions, Andrew.  I do want to clarify one final point:

From your latest reply, I infer that the API is not included in the $299 license for VSPK CE.  Yet, you claim that this version will run on a headless device.  If so, how does one configure the virtual ports?

Thanks in advance for your continued assistance!
--Eric
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | No topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.