Apr 25th, 2024, 11:10pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Serial to USB adapter  (Read 4828 times)
grimzy
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Serial to USB adapter
« on: Jun 5th, 2012, 10:01am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hello,
I have an GPS tracker which connects to the computer through a serial cable.
If I connect it to my desktop computer directly in the serial port, then 2 COM ports appear in the Device Manager. One for Configuration and one for NMEA.
Since I don't have any desktop pcs available with a serial port, I bought a USB to Serial adapter. But now I have only 1 COM port created by the adapter's driver in Device Manager and the computer doesn't see the tracker.
Is there a way to split data coming into the adapter COM port into the two ports?
Thank you,
grimzy.
IP Logged
Serge Frost
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: Serial to USB adapter
« Reply #1 on: Jun 6th, 2012, 3:44am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Greetings,  

I can offer you two ways how to resolve your problem. But this is not the best solution and I can`t guarantee that it would work properly.

The first way:
1. Download and install FabulaTech Serial Port Splitter.

Link for downloading: http://www.fabulatech.com/serial-port-splitter-download.html

2. Split your COM port on two and check it with your GPS tracker.  

The newly created COM port will be the exact copy of the first one and probably your tracker needs two unique ports. But anyway it worth to try.

The second way:

1. Download and install FabulaTech Network Serial Port Kit on any other computer that has a free COM port.

Link for downloading: http://www.fabulatech.com/network-serial-port-kit-download.html

2. Connect your GPS tracker to that computer and share it`s virtual COM ports. After that your device will be available remotely on your local computer.  

The only disadvantage of this method is you won`t be able to move your tracker because it will be connected to other computer which is located in some other place.  

If you decide to try I will be grateful if you let me know the results. Also please do not hesitate to ask if you have any questions. Our support team will be glad to assist you.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.