Apr 27th, 2024, 10:24pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: USB and Virtual Serial Ports  (Read 3804 times)
dgil
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
USB and Virtual Serial Ports
« on: May 4th, 2006, 2:42am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hi all!

we are having some problems trying to adapt USB over Network to our system. I would like to describe the whole problem so maybe you can help us find a solution:  

we have a device that reads a signal and connects to a serial port in the computer so it can read it. Now the manufacturers have changed the serial connection to a USB one, and then the problems started Sad. We need to duplicate this information to show it on the local computer and on a remote one (over an IP network); we managed to do that in the past using virtual serial ports and integrating them on our own application to transfer one over the IP network.  

With the new USB system, this cannot work. We would like to know if there is a way to virtualize USB ports the same way the Virtual Serial Port Kit does. Can you give us some hints? If not, we could accept as a temporary solution to see the info on the remote computer only.

We have tried the USB over Network but without success: the client connects to the server without problems, the remote machine installs the device with the proper drivers and it appears on the Windows Device Manager. Everything OK until we try to open the software that reads the data from the port. I guess there is some handshaking protocol between the computer and the device, evenmore it gets power from the computer (the software has the ability to turn the device on). I guess the port is not identically replicated over the network or something similar , but I was surprised since I saw the device on the Device Manager ... the fact is that when I try to use it I get an error (from the device's software) saying  "Invalid WDM or driver no loaded or already in use". We are lost at this point.  

Have you experienced similar problems in the past? Any idea or hint? We would appreciate any help,

Many thanks !!!
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: USB and Virtual Serial Ports
« Reply #1 on: May 4th, 2006, 4:56am »

Can you describe in detail what USB device do you use?
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
dgil
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2006, 7:12am »

The device is a ECG conected to the computer through an USB cable, detected by the computer as an "Unilink USB Adaptor"

Cheers!
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: May 5th, 2006, 2:55am »

Yes, it's very specific USB device. In the nearest time we will publish special diagnostic program which will allow us to debug problems of such specific USB devices. We will inform you as soon as that tool will be available.
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.