May 19th, 2024, 7:39pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: USB key over network from a Hyper-V VM  (Read 6820 times)
fgsalvador
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
USB key over network from a Hyper-V VM
« on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 1:56am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hi all,

I need to install an app which is licensed by means of a USB key onto a WS2003 VM running on Hyper-V.

I've attached the USB key in a physical WS2003 (SERVER1), installed the driver, configured the UoN server, shared the USB, and everything seems to work fine. Indeed, if I install another WS2003 (SERVER2) and try to connect to the key shared from SERVER1, everything works fine: the app recognizes the key and starts up properly.

As the next step, I've setup a WS2003 (SERVER3) running on Hyper-V, and repeated the steps: install the UoN client, connect to the key shared from SERVER1, and install its driver. Everything seems to work fine...untill I install the app, and it doesn't detect the key. In the hardware console, I can see the device with the proper driver version. In this scenario, I've tried to share from SERVER1 a FlashUSB, and it can be properly accessed from SERVER3, with no problems at all.

The key type I'm trying to use is a Sentinel Safenet SuperPro,and the app is Pixedit 7.

Any help? Any hints??

Thanks in advance
IP Logged
Mike
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: USB key over network from a Hyper-V VM
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 4:10am »

Hi,

Let's try to install Client and Server on the same PC (SERVER1) and check if it works locally.

So you need to install both UoN server and UoN client on SERVER1, connect USB key to the physical WS2003 (SERVER1), install the driver, configure the UoN server, share your USB key and connect this key by UoN client (SERVER1). Then just launch your application and try to work with the key.

Thanks!
IP Logged

Mike Storm

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
fgsalvador
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 5:05am »

Let's try to install Client and Server on the same PC (SERVER1) and check if it works locally.

So you need to install both UoN server and UoN client on SERVER1, connect USB key to the physical WS2003 (SERVER1), install the driver, configure the UoN server, share your USB key and connect this key by UoN client (SERVER1). Then just launch your application and try to work with the key.

==> Mike, it has been successfully checked between two different physical servers (SERVER1 and SERVER2). So, I'm assuming that it also works locally on the same server.

IP Logged
fgsalvador
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #3 on: Aug 25th, 2008, 5:59am »

Hi,

I've tried the following schema:

- Install the UoN on a XP SP2 physical machine (SERVER_MACHINE).
- Create a XP virtual machine (CLIENT_MACHINE) in a Vitual Server 2005 platform.

This works properly, and the app installed into CLIENT_MACHINE recognizes the USB key shared from SERVER_MACHINE.

However, if I setup a new XP virtual machine in a Hyper-V platform (CLIENT_MACHINE2), the app does not recognize the USB key shared from SERVER_MACHINE.

It seems to be definitely related to any Hyper-V securtity configuration.

Any help?

Thanks

IP Logged
Mike

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #4 on: Aug 26th, 2008, 12:50am »

Hi,

This is very interesting issue and we are definitely interested in its resolving.

So let's make some tests in order to explore the source of an issue. It will be great if you make these tests. In such a way we'll investigate whether this problem is Hyper-V related or not.

1. Try to make the same you did, but using physical machines, not virtual.
   - Install the UoN_Server on physical PC1
   - Install the UoN_Client on physical PC1
   - Install the UoN_Client on physical PC2
   - Install your app on both PC1 and PC2
   - Try to work with the app on PC1 (using UoN)
   - Try to work with the app on PC2 (using UoN)

2. Make the same you did with virtual machines, but shut-down first virtual machine before starting to operate with second. In other words only one virtual machine must be active while working with USB key.

3. Create 3 virtual machines and make the same with 2. It means that while working with VM1, VM2 and VM3 must be inactive, while working with VM2, VM1 and VM3 must be inactive...

Thanks in advance!
IP Logged

Mike Storm

FabulaTech
===================
fgsalvador
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #5 on: Aug 26th, 2008, 6:31am »

Hi Mike

we've continued our test plan...and I think we have isolated the problem.

Current situation is: SERVER1 is a WS2008-CORE running Hyper-V. It also runs UoN Server and shares a USB dongle, for which we've installed its driver.

We've also instantiate a WS2003 virtual server (SERVER2) into SERVER1, and installed UoN client. Afterwards we've mapped the USB dongle in the host machine to be used by SERVER2. We have installed in SERVER2 the app using the dongle (which also adds the dongle driver), and it has worked properly.

The problem we faced is that we were connecting to SERVER2 using Terminal Server sessions, and something didn't install properly under that kinda connnection. However, if the installations are done by using a console to SERVER2, everything works fine.

Is there any way to get a limited-in-time product key, and check the full functionality of the product before buying a license?

Thanks Mike for your time and help.
IP Logged
Mike

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2008, 7:22am »

That's great!

Well, as to the limited-in-time product key, of course it is possible. Contact us by e-mail (support@fabulatech.com) with the link to this topic.

Thanks!
IP Logged

Mike Storm

FabulaTech
===================
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.