May 12th, 2024, 10:03pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: K(v)M  switch  (Read 3916 times)
Bakaneko
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
K(v)M  switch
« on: Apr 17th, 2008, 5:17pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

I tried Synergy , i bought multiplicity pro , i have 2 hardware KVM switches and I'm still looking for the ideal product for my needs..  

I think USB over Network would be just that .

My situation:

I have 5 computers in my living room. One is connected to the TV , one has a screen on the left arm of the sofa , and one on the right. there's a small 10 inch monitor under the TV , and i have a dedicated firewall somewhere in a corner.

This setup is not so strange , I'm sure there are loads of people who use more than one computer at the same time.

Why I'm looking at usb over network.. ??

This program can easily be used (with some small adaptations ) to control multiple computers with only one keyboard and one mouse , , hell you can even use your joystick , flight stick , game pad , and every other usb device you 've got on more than one computer...

the problem is , an easy way to switch... if the Client application had a way to "force" the server to give others certain devices , and the server had a way to force certain devices onto the connected clients.. it could all be nicely configured to work as a KM+ switch.

IE: client1 :
presses application macro key , or starts the main client app with a few command lines for example :

Macro or command key 1:
usbclient.exe -force Client2 mouse1 -force Client2 keyboard1 -force client2 joystick1
^^^  to give mouse and keyboard to client 2

Macro or command key 2:
usbclient.exe -force Client3 mouse1 -force Client3 keyboard1 -force client3 joystick1
^^^  to give mouse and keyboard to client 3
etc etc...

and do the same on the client2 and client3 computers..(to give the mouse and keyboard back) would make it possible to change devices on the fly ..  

This would make usb over network the most compatible kvm solution on the market. synergy and multiplicity have a lot of compatibility issues , and quite a few bugs. USB is a level lower and would be much more transparent , and above all 100 percent compatible with any piece of software or game . as oposed to sending API SendInput and keyb_event messages through user32.dll.

Adding these small options which don't require any programming related to the internals of this tool , would open the same software to a whole other market too. and give a lot of people an extra reason to buy it.

This is an intriguing product with many possibilities.

I'm interested in anyone's opinion about this particular way of using USB over network.

Kind regards

Bakaneko.

EDIT:
You could even make a version limited to HID devices that wouldn't be as expensive ..
« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2008, 5:28pm by Bakaneko » IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: K(v)M  switch
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18th, 2008, 7:02am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hi Bakaneko,

First of all, thanks for detailed information.
Yes, really, it would be great if Client allows to force connect remote USB device occupied by another Client.
Also command-line support is good feature.
Be sure, we'll implement these features.

Thanks!
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.