May 7th, 2024, 5:18pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: USB harddrive  (Read 4052 times)
dkc
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
USB harddrive
« on: Nov 24th, 2007, 1:44pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

When I first installed the program on my MS Virtual Server 2005 R2 SP1, I was impressed. Cheesy I could access the harddrive from both virtual servers that I have set up (not at the same time of course, but that was OK. I was planning on using the USB harddrive for backups)... BUT after a while (when the USB harddrive powered down), I could not get either of the virtual servers to reconnect to the drive... Undecided
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: USB harddrive
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 12:15am »

Hello!
Hm, interesting behavior. Do you mean that USB drive becomes unaccessible after a while? And what do you mean by "when the USB harddrive powered down"?
It would be great if you could reproduce the issue and send us screenshots of Server and Client sides. We are highly interested in resolving that issue, but first of all need to reproduce that.
Thanks!
p.s. what version of USB over Network do you use?
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
dkc
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 12:41am »

I am using version 3.2.2  
- By USB drive powering down, I mean that the harddrive automatically goes into some sort of sleep mode if it has not been accessed for a while (I think it is about 10 minutes). This is a feature, built into the drive, that I do not know how to switch off (I guess you probably can't...)  
On the Host computer (the Windows 2003 server that the USB harddrive is physically attached to) you just have to access the drive again to "wake it up", but on the Client computer (a virtual server that are running on the same Windows 2003 server (physical computer) that the USB harddrive is attached to), it disappears as if it has been disconnected and no matter what I do, I can't seem to get the Client computer to connect to it again... Undecided
To sum things up: After a reboot, I can connect to the USB harddrive from the Client computer, but if I leave it alone for 10 minutes, I am unable to reconnect. Of course I can just first copy the files from the Client computer to the Host computer and then back them up from there, but your program looked as if it could save some time...
IP Logged
Andrew

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 1:02am »

OK! Thanks so much for detailed information. Very useful!
We'll try and let you know results!
By the way, what exactly model of USB hard drive do you use?

Thanks!
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
dkc
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 2:36am »

The drive is a Maxtor OneTouch drive - but maybe I had better buy a Maxtor Network Storage drive instead - that way I could access the drive from both Virtual servers at the same time and I wouldn't have to worry about USB... Wink
IP Logged
Andrew

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28th, 2007, 2:56am »

OK, thanks for info.

Sure, you decide what option is better for you (USB or network storage).

We just would like to improve our solution to make is as much universal as possible.

Thanks once again!
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.