Apr 25th, 2024, 12:37am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: need help connecting to unix server  (Read 3990 times)
rgreene
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
need help connecting to unix server
« on: Jul 10th, 2013, 4:02pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

I am using a trial version of serial port re-director. Am trying to connect legacy pc software to unix server. I am unsure about the tcp port number to use. I have tried just using the default, but that doesn't work and also tried the telnet port number from the unix box.  When I set up a virtual port it always has a red dot next to the port name and it never says 'connected' at the end of the line as I have seen in the documentation.  I have set the pc software and the serial port redirector software to use same settings (baud rate, parity etc). The virtual com port is showing up in my system hardware. When I try to run my pc legacy software, it tries to connect, but times out... so it appears to be trying to work but obviously something that eludes me is off.. I believe, although am not positive that I used this software with great success 2 or 3 years ago, although I no longer have that version available.
IP Logged
Mike
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: need help connecting to unix server
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 4:42pm »

Did you notice that the current version of SPR can create ports in two modes: Server and Client. Do you use the right mode for your scenario? The TCP port is very important and it should be the same on both sides. You should also check if the port is opened in the firewall as well as the software itself (better to give all permissions).
IP Logged

Mike Storm

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
rgreene
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10th, 2013, 5:05pm »

I used 'create client' to add the serial port.  I am not sure what I should be looking for as far as a tcp port.  I can ping the server, telnet with windows telnet... The legacy software is just looking to get a unix login..basically a telnet session...
IP Logged
InnaWhite
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11th, 2013, 5:27am »

Dear Rgreene  
Our redirector supports two network protocols 1) RAW TCP 2) Telnet (with RFC2217 extension)

As far as I understand you want to use a legacy application to work in a remote Telnet session. Is that correct?  
If so, then everything depends on what kind of protocol your legacy application uses when it interacts with a COM port.  

Try these to solve the issue:  
1) client virtual COM port (e.g. COM3), RAW mode, redirected to remote side to TCP-port 23 (23 is a standard port for Telnet)
2) client virtual COM port (e.g. COM3), RFC2217 mode, redirected to remote side to TCP-port 23 (23 is a standard port for Telnet)

In case if these solutions do not work for you, try to connect to the remote machine from his local computer over Telnet protocol.  
IP Logged

Inna White

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.