May 19th, 2024, 3:31am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: NSPK over the Internet  (Read 4038 times)
lox
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
NSPK over the Internet
« on: Nov 6th, 2006, 6:35am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hi Andrew et al,

I've installed the trial version on my network (intranet)and was very impressed that my local PC attached to a remote serial device first time with no hassles-- just following the straight forward instructions.

However, I have a need to communicate with my custormers in their homes (i.e., not on my network).  I see no examples of how to do this.  Does your product have this ability?  

If so, Isn't there another level of addressing that needs to be considered (e.g., Gateway address, gateway mask, etc...)

Thanks, and eagerly awaiting your reply...

lox
IP Logged
Andrew
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: NSPK over the Internet
« Reply #1 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 2:37am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Actually, it's not a problem of NSPK itself. It's a problem of TCP/IP addressing.
If you have private IP address (not accessible over internet) then no one can connect to your host (exception is when you make TCP ports forwarding on your gateway and your gateway has public IP address). But you still can make connections with other hosts in the Internet.
And even in this case your gateway must allow you to do this. It must run NAT, SOCKS or some kind of proxy software.

So if you want to work with your customers in this way at least one of you have to be accessible over the Internet. If you want to connect their shared COM ports then they have to be accessible and vice versa.

There is another problem if your customers have public but dynamic IP addresses (ISPs which use DHCP).
In this case your will have to contact them to find out their current IP addresses.

If your customers connect to your host then , i think, it's a bit simpler because you can ask your local network administrator to configure ports forwarding. And your customers will connect to your gateway on specified port and all traffic will flow to your host.

You may contact your local network administrator to clarify the situation according to your specific needs.

As i said before, it's not a problem of NSPK. It's how things work in the Internet.  

Best regards and thank you for comments.
IP Logged

Andrew Scott

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.