Apr 26th, 2024, 6:44am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: general question about product  (Read 4776 times)
spark
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
general question about product
« on: Dec 29th, 2009, 2:41am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

i'm no whizz bang computer programmer

a while ago i did a college course that required us to know some C++ to write a programme to control a robot arm

what we had to do was write the c++ programme using borland C++

the programme was then compiled into DOS and loaded onto a disc

the disc was then loaded onto a computer running DOS

the computer itself was connected to the robot arm by an RS232 connection

the arm had a microcontroller that understood a particular command that you used in the c++ programme, you simply inserted the command (modified to make the arm do different things).

the problem was that the college didn't have any idea of exactly how the programme was using the rs232 link and didn't know who set the thing up in the first place!! i've been lookign for quite some time for a product that would allow me to use the rs232 connection to control hardware using a c++ programme running on a machine running XP.

ok here goes

will the serial port product allow me to use the rs232 connection whilst using a c++ programme runing on an XP machine?? so i've discovered apparently beyond DOS the later programmes don't allow access to the rs 232 connection.

i'm a simple minded fool, all i want is something where i can just write a C++ programme run it and in the programme output a signal on the rs232 connection to activate hardware and also receive signals from hardware. being a simple minded fool i guess these signals would be in the form of binary (an ascii letter or number i guess). you can get black boxes that turn analogue signals into number say, hopefully in the programme the programme would look at the rs232 connection using something like "inport(number of the rs232 link) = a;"

does anyone know if this product will do this or do i need to study for years to be able to use the rs232 linkHuh

yours hopefully  
spark
IP Logged
Alex_Webster
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW   Email       
Re: general question about product
« Reply #1 on: Jan 4th, 2010, 7:54am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hello Spark. Sorry for the delayed reply.  
I wonder if you tried our Serial Port Control.  
http://www.fabulatech.com/serial-port-control.html

After the installation you will find several examples how to write the programs. I hope it will be helpful. Please test the trial version. In case you need any further assistance don't hesitate to contact us using this forum or our support desk (support@fabulatech.com).

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.