Apr 23rd, 2024, 8:18am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Digital Persona u.are.u 4500  (Read 4939 times)
jjoelc
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Digital Persona u.are.u 4500
« on: Mar 22nd, 2019, 6:07pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Testing setting up a digital persona u.are.u 4500 fingerprint reader from an IGEL (OS11.01) thin client to a server 2016 RDP session. Native USB redirection and Fabulatech USB for Remote Desktop Igel edition both produce the same behavior. Device appears to forward properly, shows up in device manager as Biometric device as expected, but when attempting to actually use the scanner, it never lights up at all, and does not work.

I did find one driver update for the Digital persona which claimed it fixed "RDP issues" and it did not seem to alter behavior at all.  

Anyone else have some tips or suggestions? Thanks!
IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum Moderator
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
Re: Digital Persona u.are.u 4500
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2019, 8:50am »

Hi,

Thanks for the interest in our product.
With help of USB for Remote Desktop you can redirect any usb devices from the local to the remote side within RD (RDP/ICA/PCoIP) session.
One clarification.
You must be sure that your SW for biometric device is intended for use within RD session.

I would advise you to run the following test:
1) plug biometric device directly into USB for Remote Desktop (server) PC;
2) run RD session from any other your LAN TC/PC to USB for Remote Desktop (server) PC;
3) run app for biometric device (on the remote side within RD session) and try to use device in it there.
IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
jjoelc
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25th, 2019, 6:42pm »

Thanks for the reply.  We have tested connecting the device directly to the server, and through the console it is working properly. Connections over RDS are still failing with the description above. Device is recognized in device manager, lights up, but is not scanning a fingerprint.

I am pursuing updated drivers/software from DigitalPersona, however they seem to be one of those oddball hardware providers who do not provide their driver software for general availability, so am running into some difficulty verifying that I have the newest/appropriate drivers. I will update here as I learn, but wanted to be sure to be complete in my information.  

So short version is - Working properly locally, but not over redirection; have not completely ruled out driver issues though.
IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26th, 2019, 8:09am »

Hi again,

Thanks for test results.
You wrote "USB for Remote Desktop Igel edition".
I think you are talking about this (5.0.2) version:
http://www.usb-over-network.com/partners/igel/usb-for-remote-desktop-download.html#tab_usbrdp-win-current
There is no difference what HW (TC/ZC/PC) you are using on the local (physical) side.
You can use our latest (5.2.3) release of USB for Remote Desktop (server) on the remote (Windows) side:
https://www.fabulatech.com/usb-for-remote-desktop-download.html#tab_usbrdp-win-current
IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
jacobegan
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10th, 2019, 5:56pm »

I'm having the same issue with RDP.  Did you ever find a solution?  Digital Persona has not been helpful in providing documentation, drivers or support to resolve this.  IGEL has been the most helpful in providing support.

We've tested using citrix and the IGEL Digital Personal passthrough, that method works great.  Unfortunately, we're moving away from Citrix so it's a mute point.  

IP Logged
jjoelc
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #5 on: Oct 1st, 2019, 11:32pm »

Not to resurrect a dead thread, but we were recently doing one last bit of testing before resorting to physical USB over IP devices, and noticed that you now have software "Biometrics for Remote Desktop" available, which directly lists DigitalPersona support as being recently added.

Any advice about integrating the workstation side of that software with the IGEL (OS11.01) thin client?
IP Logged
jjoelc
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #6 on: Oct 2nd, 2019, 5:26pm »

on Jun 10th, 2019, 5:56pm, jacobegan wrote:
I'm having the same issue with RDP.  Did you ever find a solution?  Digital Persona has not been helpful in providing documentation, drivers or support to resolve this.  IGEL has been the most helpful in providing support.

We've tested using citrix and the IGEL Digital Personal passthrough, that method works great.  Unfortunately, we're moving away from Citrix so it's a mute point.  

To answer your question, we have not yet been able to get it functioning under USB redirection... BUT... We have had success with USB over IP to get the device functioning. Initial testing was with this cheap Silex model - https://www.amazon.com/Silex-DS-510-Device-Server-Ports/dp/B00U9UDSH8/ - But found that the software used for that model didn't play nicely with multiple instances running on different user accounts. (Have not done any real testing to see if there is a way to install the software per user and allow more than one instance to run on the server, though for this cheap box, we were pleasantly surprised at the quality of the software.) Depending on your numbers and needs, something similar may fit the ticket for you.
IP Logged
Sergey_Jarovski
FabulaTech Forum God

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2019, 9:05am »

Hi,

Regarding Biometrics for Remote Desktop (Linux workstation) and Linux Igel TC.
There is no support of digital persona u.are.u 4500 fingerprint reader in case of Linux workstation ("wide list of devices" section) of Biometrics for Remote Desktop:
https://www.fabulatech.com/biometrics-for-remote-desktop.html#biordp_devices
I know one method to implement any FabulaTech product into Igel TC (the usage of Custom Partition) but there is no sense to do it for now.
IP Logged

Sergey Jarovski

FabulaTech
===================
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.