Apr 24th, 2024, 1:10pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trouble accessing a smart card reader when RDPing  (Read 9284 times)
rosewood
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Trouble accessing a smart card reader when RDPing
« on: Apr 13th, 2011, 1:43pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

We currently have USB over Network 4.5.3 working to serve a USB Smart Card reader and smart card. The reader is physically connected to the Hyper-V host and the client is a Hyper-V S2008R2 install.

The smart card reader is needed for a Java based web authentication.  

When I use the Hyper-V manager and am connected directly everything works great.

However if I connect to the virtual machine using Remote Desktop the Java app no longer works.

The support team for the company that I'm trying to access says this is a Remote Desktop issue and points to this thread on the technet forums: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverTS/thread/47972083-b9bd-49fd-8708-b296af81bda3

I was hoping maybe there was some insight from you guys on this scenario or if the USB over Remote Desktop would be a better application (although not ideal because that would mean giving the smart card and reader back to the users where it gets LOST!)
IP Logged
Harry_Mitkov
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: Trouble accessing a smart card reader when RDP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 1:08am »

Dear rosewood,

Unfortunately Windows 7/2008 server doest not allow using some devices in RDP session. Smart Card Readers PDAs, HID devices are related to such devices. You can run a little test to ensure this. Connect your Smart Card Reader physically to your Windows 7/2008 server machine and run the RDP session form another computer. Connect to your Windows 7/2008 server machine through RDP and try to use Smart Card Reader in remote session. You will see that it Smart Card Reader software does not see the device even if it is physically connected to that computer.
IP Logged
rosewood
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 5:54am »

on Apr 14th, 2011, 1:08am, Harry_Mitkov wrote:
Dear rosewood,

Unfortunately Windows 7/2008 server doest not allow using some devices in RDP session. Smart Card Readers PDAs, HID devices are related to such devices. You can run a little test to ensure this. Connect your Smart Card Reader physically to your Windows 7/2008 server machine and run the RDP session form another computer. Connect to your Windows 7/2008 server machine through RDP and try to use Smart Card Reader in remote session. You will see that it Smart Card Reader software does not see the device even if it is physically connected to that computer.

So even with the USB over Remote Desktop product I'd still be hit with this same limitation?
IP Logged
Harry_Mitkov
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 6:30am »

Unfortunately yes.
IP Logged
rosewood
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #4 on: Apr 14th, 2011, 11:28pm »

That is a darn shame -- thank you for the information.
IP Logged
AilsaPF
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #5 on: Dec 24th, 2015, 1:31am »

Well, the guide said
"1. Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Remote Desktop Services>Remote Desktop Session Host>Device and Resource Redirectiondouble-click the Do not allow smart card device redirection setting.  
2. Click Enabled"
maybe you can also have a try with your smart card reader.  
But i don't know if this one also available for Syncotek SC-600P smart card reader (http://www.syncotek.com/product/usb_powered_rfid_ic_smart_card_reader_sc_600_p.html ) , i also need to have a try.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.