Apr 24th, 2024, 11:14am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Pre-purchase questions - quality, resources, etc.  (Read 5176 times)
miller6161
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Pre-purchase questions - quality, resources, etc.
« on: Feb 1st, 2011, 6:14am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

I'm looking at this program to enable use of my local microphone over RDP to use Nuance Dragon 11 (just like other poster in  a previous thread)  Unfortunately, that thread died off before any resolution took place.

Even locally, Dragon 11 is a bit of a resource hog and has some delays at times getting spun up to start dictation, etc.  Sometimes it's instant, sometimes there's a noticeable delay.  With that in mind, I'm concerned about Resource Usage on both local and remote machines.  Also concerned about (additional) bandwidth usage over the RDP.  Sometimes, my connection can be slow/limited. Can you comment on these issues.  

Also, how does the system show up in my audio?  Does it show up as an additional/new sound device?  Or merely allow the existing devices to just work as is.  (Currently, when connected via RDP, there are "No Recording Devices" installed/showing on my remote device.)  

Does it run as a service?  An active program?  Is it minimizable?  what controls, if any, are available. (Frankly, your help & products section on the website is a bit lacking in giving info on usage, interface, real screenshots, etc.  It reads more like "install it and use it. It works great."  )  

Sorry for all of the questions, but I'd like to have a better idea of the program, even before downloading a free trial.  ~Thanks!

EDIT: should have added that I'm using Windows 7 Pro on the server side, and Windows 7 Home Premium on the client side.  Both are pretty well equipped machines, purchased mid 2010, lots of memory, decent processors, video, etc.
« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2011, 6:16am by miller6161 » IP Logged
Mike
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: Pre-purchase questions - quality, resources, e
« Reply #1 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 4:28am »

Sound over RDP is a very light and easy to use software. It has no GUI at all and it runs as a service. All you need to make it work is to install Workstation part on the local machine and Server part on the remote machine. Once you start the RDP session, your audio device will be automatically redirected to the remote machine and it will appear on the remote side as "USB RDP Audio In" or "USB AUDIO".

The program uses low system resources and bandwidth usage is about 55-60 Kbit\s, so I think the Dragon 11 should work almost the same way it works locally.

Windows 7 and Server 2008 are not supported at this point, however we've almost finished the new version development and it will support these OS's.
IP Logged

Mike Storm

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
miller6161
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 5:36am »

Well shiet . . . that would have been nice to realize up front. Now that I look some more, it's quite hidden as to even the basic minimum requirements.  I can see why. Without Windows 7 support, i guess it's all a moot point.  Thanks for your reply though.  Good luck with everything - would have loved to have tried your product.
IP Logged
Mike
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
« Reply #3 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 6:51am »

We expect to complete the Windows 7 support by the end of this month or in early March. As for the current version, Workstation part supports Windows Vista, XP, Server 2003 and Server 2008 (32 and 64-bit) and Server part supports Windows XP and Server 2003 (32 and 64-bit). This info is indicated on our website. So you can use XP's basic minimum requirements as the minimum requirements for our product.  

I've already mentioned that our software bandwidth usage is about 55-60 Kbps and as far as I know 25-30 Kbps is a better lower limit for RDP sessions (per user), so everything above 100 Kbps would be enough for your case.
IP Logged

Mike Storm

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
riotap
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile   Email       
« Reply #4 on: Jun 2nd, 2011, 2:17pm »

On the server side. Will it only work with a one-to-one "VDI" based session (in other words a full desktop based instance with RDP enabled). Or will the solution deal with a "shared instance" environment such as Windows Server running a Terminal Server (i.e. for your beta release - this would be Windows 2008R2 running Remote Desktop Session Host).
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.