Apr 19th, 2024, 6:53pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: SPR Windows services crashes frequently on W7.  (Read 4350 times)
fjporrag
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
SPR Windows services crashes frequently on W7.
« on: Sep 15th, 2014, 4:46am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

We have 2 types of computers nowadays: XP and W7 and we are migrating our computers from XP to W7.
  The XP computers have SPR version 1.3.2 installed and the W7, SPR version 2.6.1.
  As the number of W7 computers grows, we are experiencing that in many of them, daily and randomly:

- SPR Windows Service appears to be stopped.
     - In the Event Viewer, there is an error entry about SPR crashing.

The solution in all those cases is to start the service again manually and everything keeps working fine, but as the user is not allowed (nor has he the knowledge) to start a service by himself we are receiving at our Tech Support Hotline many calls (20 / week) because of this problem (and the number of W7 computers keeps increasing).

A few months ago, because other problems, we introduced in the application that uses the SPR the ability to start the Windows Service automatically (via Windows API) and to send us a mail with the result of that. Although via those e-mails, we can see that in all XP and many W7 computers this automatic restart of the service works perfectly, in W7 ones when the SPR Service has crashed, it doesn't work; it only works to start it manually.

Have you got any idea about the reason why SPR service crashes on W7?
  If so, is there any fix for that?

Thanks in advance.
IP Logged
InnaWhite
FabulaTech Forum Full Member

View Profile   WWW         
Re: SPR Windows services crashes frequently on W7.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16th, 2014, 9:11am »

Dear fjporrag,

In order to solve your problem on the computers with Windows 7 where crashes occurred, please find spr-err.txt file (as a rule it is located in the directory c:\windows\system32) and send it to us (support@fabulatech.com). We will analyse it to find a proper solution to your issue. I would also ask you to specify the version of Serial Port Redirector (Client part) you`re using on your partner side.
IP Logged

Inna White

FabulaTech
===================
http://www.fabulatech.com
fjporrag
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Sep 17th, 2014, 3:05am »

The version of SPR installed in our W7 machines is 2.6.1.
  As soon as we find more computers with the crash, we will get their "spr-err.txt" file and send it to you.
  Best regards.
IP Logged
fjporrag
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16th, 2014, 10:57am »

Hello again!
 The bad news are that, though my silence since my last post, the crashes kept happening.
 As you suggested, we have tried to get the "C:\Windows\System32\spr-err.txt" but in all the cases, that file existed but it was always empty (0 bytes).
 The only clue we already have is that it seems to crash only in W7 computers, in which the 2.6.1 SPR version is installed.
 Any ideas would be appreciated!
IP Logged
Valentas
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17th, 2014, 5:09am »

Hello,

I'd like to join fjporrag regarding SPR crashes on W7. We have very similar issue, when SPR service crashes, and we have start manually or reboot PC.
What steps could be done to capture some debugging info?

Valentas
IP Logged
fjporrag
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17th, 2014, 8:07am »

Exploring other options to reduce the headache in our end users until the final solution (fix, apar, ...) comes, I realized that there exist some "Recovery" options into the Properties panel of any Windows Service.
 It seems that - among other posibilities - they allow to restart a Windows Service when it crashes.
 The current values for those options (I suppose the way they are set during the SPR installation procedure) are "Do not perform any action" for the first, second and following errors.
 I wonder if setting those properties to "Restart the service" could help a little, not to prevent the service from crashing but to avoid the final user experiencing the failure.
 Has anyone experience enough using those properties' values for SPR to grant we could safely try them?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.