Mar 29th, 2024, 2:11pm
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: I must be missing the basics  (Read 5620 times)
andy64
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
I must be missing the basics
« on: Sep 21st, 2009, 8:29am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

I'm trying to get bluetooth to work with test equipment that only has serial ports.  Bought a BT dongle, serial adapter, software, etc.  I've had a little success by using Hyperterminal but not the software that came with the equipment (restricted to com1 and com2).

So, I downloaded the trial version of Mapper thinking it may help.  So far, I've not been able to get it to work with bluetooth USB dongle.  So, I've taken the bluetooth devices out of play and I am now trying to get it to work with the hardwired connection.

My notebook came with physical com1 and with a modem on com2.  I removed the modem (physically removed it).  Then I mapped COM2 -> physical COM1.  I connect the PC to the meter using its standard serial cable, select com2 in the program and it doesn't connect.  If I select COM1 it connects normally.

What did I miss?

I'm running XP Pro SP3.

Thanks
IP Logged
Alex_Webster
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW   Email       
Re: I must be missing the basics
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22nd, 2009, 2:43am »

on Sep 21st, 2009, 8:29am, andy64 wrote:

My notebook came with physical com1 and with a modem on com2.  I removed the modem (physically removed it).  Then I mapped COM2 -> physical COM1.  I connect the PC to the meter using its standard serial cable, select com2 in the program and it doesn't connect.  If I select COM1 it connects normally.

What did I miss?

I'm running XP Pro SP3.

Thanks

Could you please post a couple of screenshots picturing Serial Port Mapper shell. And please describe how "it doesn't connect"? Are there any error messages? What program did you use to query your modem?
IP Logged
andy64
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22nd, 2009, 8:44am »

Sorry, I'm not a programmer.  What's the Serial Port Mapper shell?

I use a software program called Trilithic Model Two Toolbox that came with the meter.  Normally I connect the meter to (physical) COM1 on the notebook, select COM1 on the software, click OK and the program indicates the connection is OK by transferring some data to the notebook.  If it doesn't connect, it displays "Failed! Please check the connection!"  FWIW, there is no COM port setup available in the program other than to select COM1 or COM2.

I just tried a different brand of meter that uses HyperTerminal.  Same result.  Connect meter to com1 set HT for com1, works fine.  Connect meter to com1, use mapper to map com2 -> com1, set HT for com2, doesn't work.  Remove the Mapper setting, select SWAP, select com1 and com6 (available in the drop down list), change HT to use com6, doesn't work.

Seems like I'm missing a fundamental point of how to use Mapper.

IP Logged
Alex_Webster
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile   WWW   Email       
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:58am »

Shell is the interface of our program (with icons, buttons etc.).

Could you please make a screen shot of the steps you did? Also I need a screen shot of HyperTerminal when it cannot connect. I need to see exactly what it says.  

What is the meter? We were speaking about a modem Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.