Mar 29th, 2024, 9:05am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: connect to virtual machine's com port  (Read 5696 times)
pkuczynski
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
connect to virtual machine's com port
« on: May 10th, 2011, 1:07pm »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

Hi  
I posted this question to the vmware forums as well...

This has to do with connection a VMware virtual machine's com port to a physical serial cable, via a thin client.

The virtual machine needs to talk to our ADT security system, in the same building, but the serial cable wont stretch that far....

Here's my challenge for this week.

We had tired old desktop witch connected to our buildings ADT security system, via db9 serial connection on com1.

All the pc did was talk to the ADT hardware to change users access into the building, create new swipe cards, so on so forth.

Well, the pc was very old, and in need of replacement.

So we had the great idea, of, building a VM [windows7 pro x64] on the SAN, then getting it to connect to the serial connection in another server room in the same building.

Since the distance from the ADT system is too great, 200 feet, we wamt to simply connected the ADT serial cable to the com port of a hp t5700 thin client, then set up a RDP session to the new virtual machine, and checked to redirect SERIAL connections.

The issue is, how do we actually get this redirected serial connection via RDP to talk to the virtual machine.

I see that on the vm we can add a serial connection, so I added a Serial port using Named pipes, and specified Near End is Server, and Far End is a process. I called the named pipe adt, as it will not accept any named pipes such as \\.\pipe\adt

I was looking at your software, but wasn't sure if any of it would address this issue.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.