Apr 16th, 2024, 10:19am
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print
   Author  Topic: Unable to get connection working.  (Read 5402 times)
BradyAdvos
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
Unable to get connection working.
« on: Jan 13th, 2010, 11:08am »
Quote Quote  Modify Modify

I downloaded and installed the full version on several machine.  On each machine I am able to share my physical com ports and on the remote machines I am able to browse for the connections.  It lists the available connections correctly but will never connect.

I got the demo to work several months ago but now nothing seems to be working.  Any ideas?
IP Logged
George_White
FabulaTech Forum Senior Member

View Profile         
Re: Unable to get connection working.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 4:16am »

Brady,

Can you please give us more details:

1. What serial device are you trying to access remotely.
2. How exactly and with what software are you trying to access it (for example a modem with Hyperterminal).
3. What do you see in the fabulatech windows? A red dot?
4. Are the versions of NSPK the same on both sides?

Any informational you feel relevant will be greatly appreciated.
IP Logged
BradyAdvos
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 6:28am »

I am trying to connect my Com 1 port and share it.
I am I have a 3rd party program which connects to the serial port.  Specifically it's the APC software to monitor my UPS.
Yes, I see a red dot in the fabulatech windows.
Yes both versions are the same, Version 5.6.2

I have also tried to connect the serial port from Com 1 to Com 3 on the same machine.  I get the same issue with the red dot and the outgoing connection waiting for a response.  

I can send screen shots if you have an email address for me to send them.
IP Logged
George_White

View Profile         
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 7:59am »

1. Are there any firewalls? Can you ping each machine from one another? Please try to temporarily stop the firewalls if there are any
2. Try to create a virtual connection using NSPK on the same machine where the shared port is created. If everlything works fine, the problem is with the network.
IP Logged
BradyAdvos
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14th, 2010, 8:01am »

I have tried sharing and connecting the a port on the same machine.  It still didn't work.

I also disabled all firewalls.  I am able to ping with no issue.  I am also able to telnet to that port and it makes a connection.  If I disable the share the telnet to the port fails.

Brady
IP Logged
George_White

View Profile         
« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2010, 1:07am »

Try to connect to the virtual port using Hyperterminal. If it connects ok and a green dot appears in the fabulatech window, it means our NSPK works correctly, and the issue is with your software that opens the port.

Does NSPK change its status to 'connecting' when you try to open the port with your software? Maybe your software is supposed to work ONLY with, say, COM1 and you create, for example, virtual COM5?
IP Logged
BradyAdvos
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2010, 9:46am »

I uninstalled and reinstalled on both machines and now it connects but I get an error on the NSPK screen that says, "Broken Connection"
IP Logged
George_White

View Profile         
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2010, 6:34am »

When the virtual port is opened correctly, the green dot will appear, then, if the server part is disconnected, the red dot appears.

If you install your license onto more than 2 machines (you have a 2-license pack), the excess connections will simply be disconnected by the server, and the red dot will appear.
IP Logged
BradyAdvos
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25th, 2010, 8:08am »

I have not installed the license key on any other machines except the two I'm using.  One is Server 2008 R2 and the other is Server 2003 32 bit R2.  Can you confirm that these will work correctly?  Is there any hardware which this will not work correctly?
IP Logged
George_White

View Profile         
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28th, 2010, 2:18am »

Yes, these OS's are supported.

A few more questions for you:

1. so as far as I understand the Com port device is the UPS that  you want to monitor?
2. Please send your sysinfo from both machines to support@fabulatech.com
To get sysinfo you need to do the following:
Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Information  
File -> Save  
3. Is it possible for you to give us remote access to your shared port (ideally remote access to the sharing computer with administrator rights would be more useful)
4. Known troubles for such setup is only connected with sending faxes from specific software, but even in this case the connection doesn't break up.
IP Logged
BradyAdvos
FabulaTech Forum Newbie

View Profile         
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16th, 2010, 12:15pm »

I would love to get you setup to take a look at the software and see if we can get it working.  I have been able to get my UPS monitoring setup.  I was trying to test the system using my UPS which is now working.  My production system I'm trying to get working is using software from VeriMark.  The software is eCas phone systems.  When a phone call is completed by my phone system it sends the information to a remote unit which then transfers the data a serial port to the software.  When the data is being sent the status does show it connects but then I get a broken connection error from the Faublatech network kit.
How are we going to coordinate looking at the software/hardware?
IP Logged
George_White

View Profile         
« Reply #11 on: Feb 18th, 2010, 6:56am »

Brady
Sorry, we don't get the picture completely. Can you describe once again the whole scenario and what sends what etc. A graphic image would also be helpful. Please send it to support@fabulatech.com. Thanks!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply  Notify of replies Notify of replies  Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »
Online Talk to our
support team or
sales department.